Thursday, July 03, 2008
I seriously wonder why there seem to be so many matreps and minahreps in *** (im dying to just say the damn name but i can't reveal it, damnit) whenever i make my way home from work.
It's not fun at all working in the lab. Except to read people's name and look at patients' samples and ya that's about it. Ok maybe there's so much more, but sometimes it gets draining. It seriously feels as though you get cut off from the society, the community, the world. Firstly, we're down in the basement. Secondly, there are absolutely no windows. So no, I've absolutely zero clue as to whether it's raining, bloody hot, or if there happens to be a hailstorm out there.
And so the only time I get to take a peek at the world (yes i know, i speak as though i live in the lab 24/7, padahal padahal) is during lunch. But of course, that makes me and Fatin sorta like the anti-social pair cos it seems to me as though every staff just eats in the pantry. God forbid, I don't know how in the world they survive being underground for the whole day with no interaction with the outside world. So what Fatin and I do is that we just randomly visit wards. Of course, it is embarrassing as hell because we have no one to visit, we like young secondary school kids who just reached puberty (the two of us are midgets, fyi) and we just roam around aimlessly trying to steal glances at the patients. but of course, my initial plan was that i wanted to interact with patients (macam paham) but of course that will only happen in like 10 trillion years. So when people or the nurses give us queer stares we just go "eh kau kata Cikgu Rahman kat ward ni?" "eh takde pun. agaknye ward tingkat bawah ah"
Little kids visiting their poor Cikgu Rahman in hospital.
Bullshit works wonders, I say.
And so during the few rounds that I've made (which actually equals to visiting like 5 wards?) I've observed some things.
The hospital I work in seem to have only geriatrics. I mean every ward I visit seem to be full of really really old people. By really old I mean like 65 and above? And so it scares the shit out of me because I simply find it very heartwrenching to visit the geriatric wards because I feel as though they're all dying and sick and the aura is so negative and I feel so sad that when I see them I want to cry even though I've never met them before. Which also makes me come to a conclusion that there goes my hope of becoming a nurse. :(
But of course, there are some who deservingly needs to be sick, like this incident which I witnessed. This not so old patient (at most 50+ ah) practically shouted to the attendant:
"Ey you're just an attendant. Small position. Like a butterfly. I can treat you like dog ok"
Wtf. If I were the attendant I'd spit in his food. But then again, when you're sick and when you're in a room full of sick people, with all the negative vibe around you, who wouldn't be grumpy? So I guess it's just one big vicious cycle.
And of course that leads to me the question: Where are the young people in this damn hospital? Every ward I visit has old people. So I really question who the matreps visit. I'm dying to discover the ward that actually has young people so I won't be too depressed when I visit.
There are no children, no pregnant people, no babies to visit. How dull can my life be. I can't visit the prisoners.
Anyway tomorrow I'm so hitting the gym. It's been like 8798616575years since I've stepped into one. :D Yay!
Labels: is this ok fatin?
X O X O; 9:43 pm